Typically, one may associate mushroom sauce with adjectives such as creamy, high-calorie and delicious.
Personally, I love mushroom sauce. But when you make it with all that butter and cream, you can’t help but feel your arteries scream at you, regardless of how pleased your stomach may be.
So instead of avoiding my beloved mushroom sauce in the best interest of my heart and waistline, I instead opt for a much healthier and lower-calorie mushroom sauce recipe.
This recipe uses much lighter ingredients to create the sauce, with chicken broth as the liquid and only a ¼ of sour cream added right at the end (which you can even substitute with the healthier greek yogurt.)
This specific recipe uses balsamic and tarragon to flavour the sauce, but you can really remove or substitute anything to change the flavour of the sauce – mustard, sun dried tomatoes, thyme to name a few ideas!
Try this recipe and enjoy a delicious mushroom sauce without all the guilt!
Click here for the printable Word version of recipe:
Chicken with Balsamic Tarragon Mushroom sauce
Chicken With Balsamic Tarragon Mushroom Sauce
1 tbsp oil
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
½ cup onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
16-20 mushrooms, sliced
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp dried terragon
1 tsp dried thyme
¼ cup white wine
¾ cup chicken or vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 / 4 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
Fresh parsley for garnish
Cooked brown rice for serving
1. Cut chicken thighs into bite sized pieces (about 3 pieces per thigh) Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a large pan, sauté chicken thighs in oil until lightly browned. Remove.
3. Add onions cook until softened. Add garlic, cook for a minute.
4. Add mushrooms, cook until tender, mixing occasionally.
5. Stir in balsamic vinegar, tarragon and thyme.
6. Add salt, pepper, white wine and broth. Add chicken and mix well. Bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Mix cornstarch in just enough water to dissolve, about ¼ cup. Add to pan. Mix well and cook uncovered until sauce thickens.
9. Turn off heat. Mix in sour cream/yogurt.
Serve on a bed of brown rice and garnish with fresh parsley.