Potatoes are great. However, when it comes to root vegetables, I generally opt for something that I deem to have more nutritional value – beets, sweet potatoes, etc. Gotta get that extra fiber and anti-oxidants into your diet!
I sometime make oven fries, so this time I decided to use a variety of root vegetables in lieu of potatoes. Not only are baked the beet, sweet potato and rutabaga fries delicious, but they look so nice as well.
- For best results, flip each fry halfway through baking. I am lazy and just shook my pan. As a result they were a little dark on one side but still delicious.
Click here for printable Word version of recipe:
Rainbow Root Vegetable Fries
3 medium/large beets
1 medium orange fleshed sweet potato (yam)
½ rutabaga – use whole to serve 4
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3 tsp dried rosemary
Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Peel beets. Cut into ½ inch fries and place in a mixing bowl. Toss with 1 cloves garlic, 1 tsp rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Peel sweet potato and rutabaga. Cut into ½ inch fries. Place in mixing bowl. Toss with 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp rosemary, salt, pepper and olive oil.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Place fries individually on baking sheet so they are not overlapping.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes on two levels of oven. After 20 minutes, move vegetables around with a spatula. For best results, flip each fry individually. Switch top and bottom pans and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes until done.