John and I made a marvellous discovery … next to the roasted chicken, Safeway sells cooked ham. With the delicious maple scent overpowering the chicken it was sitting next too, John and I had to grab one for dinner.
It was a pretty big hunk of meat, too much for two people, so I took the leftover ham, wrapped it in foil and threw it in a freezer.
A couple weeks later, I needed a quick dinner. So with my precious ham in mind, I pre-cooked some barley the night before in preparation for a quick skillet dish the next day.
Inspired by what I had hanging around in my fridge, sweet potatoes, peas, barley ham and cheddar cheese came together in a quick and delicious dish.
So next time you have some leftover ham, this is a great way to use it up for a quick and delicious dinner.
Click here for printable Word version of recipe:
Leftover Ham Skillet
Leftover ham, cut into bite sized pieces
2-3 cups cooked barley, pearl or pot
1 small onion, sliced
1 small orange fleshed sweet potato, peeled and diced
6-8 mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
2 tsp dried rosemary
1 cup frozen peas
Grated cheddar cheese, between ½ to 1 cup
- Heat oil in a large pan on medium-high
- Sauté onions for about 2 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, garlic and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until sweet potatoes are nearly cooked.
- Add ham and peas and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Add barely and cook until barley is heated.
- Sprinkle grated cheese on top. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.