I love artichokes!
John and I will buy a couple of fresh artichokes, steam them and dip them in balsamic vinegar. Not only are they delicious, but they are fun to eat too. I enjoy peeling layer after layer off, with the vegetable on each leaf growing more and more ample, until you reach the delicious goldmine that is the artichoke heart in the middle.
So I made it my mission to cook something with artichokes. And no – I didn’t use the fresh ones, but canned instead. But the tangy vegetable offers some real flavour even in its preserved form.
I made a chicken Mediterranean stew, with mushrooms, potatoes, peppers and fresh basil simmered in broth, wine and herbs. I like to cut the canned artichoke hearts into quarters and add them right at the end. Just delicious!
This stew is very healthy and easy to make. Warm enough for a cold day and light enough for a warm one!
Did I mention for the life of me I can’t figure out how to spell “Mediterranean”? Don’t be fooled – I use spell check every time!
Click here for the printable Word version of the recipe:
Mediterrenean Chicken Stew with Artichokes
Mediterranean Chicken Stew
6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into pieces
1 red onion, sliced
12 baby potatoes, cut in half, or 4 medium potatoes cut into cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 mushrooms, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 large tomato diced
¾ cups white wine
¾ cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 tsp thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can artichoke hearts, drained
A handful of basil leaves
- Preheat dutch oven.
- Cut chicken thighs into pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- In oil, brown chicken. Remove.
- Add onions and a little more cooking oil. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add potatoes and garlic, cook for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and red pepper. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper.
- Add wine and broth. Add chicken. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked.
- Add artichoke hearts, simmer for another 3-5 minutes.
- Turn off heat, add fresh basil.