I love Mexican food. But it’s really hard to find good Mexican food in Canada. There is the odd gem, but in general we’re not all that good at it. If you want the good stuff, I suggest you travel to the southwest United States. No, not Mexico. I swear, Americans make better Mexican food then the touristy areas of Mexico do.
If anyone in California is reading this, there is a great business opportunity for you to start a Mexican restaurant up north!
John and I were in South Lake Tahoe eating at as many different Mexican restaurants as we could fit in to our schedule. One such place offered a delicious looking vegetarian burrito that I just had to try. What made it so good was that they used their cinnamon sweet potatoes in the burrito. After trying this burrito, I decided I needed to do my best to replicate it at home.
So this recipe was my attempt, and I daresay it turned out fabulously!
A Mexican bean and vegetable mixture, cinnamon sweet potatoes baked in butter, avocado, salsa verde and cheese all come together in a whole wheat tortilla to make this happen. And yes, black beans, sweet potatoes, avocado and whole wheat tortilla will give you a nice shot of fibre!
- I decided to cook the sweet potatoes in foil on the BBQ instead of in my oven as my house was a bajillion degrees that day and I didn’t want to heat it further. This worked out nicely.
- You can make your salsa verde from scratch (see recipe here) or just buy a jar from the store to simplify things. Same goes with the pico de gallo/salsa
- Make lots so you can have it the next day for leftovers – as good as fresh!
I swear, this is really good. With the help of some sangria, this recipe makes for a very fun dinner party. I would suggest you give it a try! And you won’t miss the meat!
Special thanks to Cody Moore for taking the food pics for me.
Click here to view the printable word version of the recipe:
Sweet Potato Vegetarian Burritos
Sweet Potato Vegetarian Burritos
1 large orange fleshed sweet potato, peeled and diced
1-2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 onion, sliced
4-6 mushrooms, sliced
1 japapeno, minced
3 cloves garlic minced
½ red pepper, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 can black beans
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
Salt and pepper
Large Flour tortillas
Salsa verde (from scratch or store bought)
Pico de gallo (from scratch or store bought salsa)
Mexican hot sauce (Valintinas, Tapateo, Chalula’s etc.)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (alternatively cook on the BBQ)
- Peel sweet potato and cut into cubes.
- Place sweet potato on a large piece of tin foil.
- Sprinkle sweet potato with sugar and cinnamon. Add a few chunks of butter.
- Wrap in foil so package is well sealed.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until sweet potatoes are cooked
Black Bean Filling:
- Heat frying pan on medium high. Saute onions in oil. Add mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms start to cook.
- Add jalapeno and garlic, continue to cook.
- Add red peppers.
- Add cumin and chili powder. Stir and cook for about a minute.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add black beans, cook for a minute or two.
- Prepare other ingredients.
- Heat tortillas
- Grate cheese
- Chop cilantro
- Slice and salt avocado.
- Prepare salsa verde if making from scratch.
- Prepare pico de gallo if making from scratch. If not use jar of salsa.
- On a tortilla, add sour cream. Place sliced avacados. Add a scoop of the bean mixture and sweet potatoes. Top with grated cheese, salsa verde, pico de gallo/salsa, cilantro and hot sauce.
- Roll burritos and serve!